If you are going DIY with the gutter cleaning instead of hiring gutter cleaning services, follow these tips to do it safely and as efficiently as possible.
Get the right tools
- Gloves: apart from keeping your hands clean, it also protects you from the sharp metallic pieces and screws in the troughs.
- Trowel or scoop: these tools help in protecting your hands against grime and injury, but accelerated cleaning can help you in scooping and dumping.
- Ladder: it is recommended to use a tall step ladder for stability purposes rather than using an extension ladder. You can also have a volunteer to steady the bottom of the ladder.
- Rake or broom: leaves and debris should always be raked and removed, even on the roof, so that the rains have nothing to push more into the troughs.
- Goggles: if just in case, anything splashes on your face or something sharp comes jumps out from the debris, goggles can protect your eyes at all cost. They also keep the insects away from getting into your eyes.
- Garbage bag: this makes the gutter cleaning easier.
Be safe at every step of the way. Pay heed to all the safety ladder rules. Never stand on the top rungs. Always put a 2×4 in the trough to avoid the crushing when leaning against the ladder and work on the roof only if it’s good weather outside. Never do troughs when it is icy, windy or wet. Always wear sturdy shoes that have good grip. Prevent leaning over the edges and working nearby the power lines.
Always clean your gutter at least twice a year, or maybe more if your house is built below the trees. It is a good practice to clean the gutters in the spring and autumn season as this is the high time for raking away the shed leaves and debris. When you do the cleaning, there is a less chance of the blocked gutter in winters where the water can freeze and crack the trough. The water flow should always be free. Spring cleaning tends to avoid the water damage because of run off from a clogged gutter.
Repairing and maintenance
It is done to avoid cracks, clogs, and broken troughs in an instant. Just a small crack can cause bigger issues when left unaddressed. By the maintenance of the gutters, you are steering away the damage being caused to your home and keeping your investments safe at the same time. Clean gutters also keep your house in a top notch condition and looking fresh. You will also keep the mold and critters at bay.